Skip to main content

Weekend Fire Destroys Maple Grove Home

Jan 07, 2016 09:53PM ● Published by Wendy Erlien

A Maple Grove family of four is safe this week, despite losing their home after an early morning house fire on Sunday, Dec. 3.

Fire fighters with the Maple Grove Fire Department were called to the scene of a house fire around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 3 on the 1600 block of 72nd Place North.   

“Eyewitness accounts and statements made from the homeowner indicate that the fire started on a deck on the exterior of the home,” Maple Grove Fire Inspector Eric Lind said, indicating a charcoal grill was used the night before and had been checked to ensure the grates were closed. “Sometime overnight the embers from the grill likely ignited the deck and fire quickly spread to the house.”

Due to winds, the fire spread up the side of the house and into the attic.

“The home is a total loss except for the garage,” Lind said. “Thankfully, the family of four made it out of the home safely.”

Fire officials are reminding residents to not use a grill with charcoal on a wooden deck since embers can remain hot for several days and should be wet down and/or stored in metal can, according to Lind. 

Like what you're reading? Subscribe to the Maple Grove Voice free newsletter to catch every headline

Police+Fire
  • Geocaching for Ugly Ornaments

    12/17/2017
    01:00PM — 03:00PM

    Start a family tradition and recycle your ugly ornaments. Find two geocaches and trade new “treas...


  • Nutcracker Ballet

    12/17/2017
    07:00PM

    The North Ballet Youth Company will again delight audiences next weekend with its eighth annual p...


It looks like we don't have any events for this date. You can always add an event.

It looks like we don't have any events for this date. You can always add an event.

PROUDLY BROUGHT TO YOU BY THESE COMMUNITY SPONSORS