2016 Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove Features Art, Activities, Entertainment
May 23, 2016 09:31AM
● By Wendy Erlien
Preparations for the first Arbor Lakes Chalkfest. (photo by Wendy Erlien)
The second weekend in June, the sidewalks at Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove will be exploding with color and design as the Arbor Lakes Business Association and Maple Grove Art Center host the first annual Chalkfest in Maple Grove.
The free, two-day festival (June 11-12) on
Main Street and at The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes features sidewalk
chalk art by professionals, amateurs,
and art enthusiasts as well as entertainment, food, and family activities.
Chalkfest is the
first all-Arbor Lakes event – spanning between The Fountains at Arbor Lakes,
Main Street, and The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes. With the support of sponsors,
the Arbor Lakes Business Association is hoping to bring awareness about the area by creating and continuing the first major chalk festival in
the Twin Cities.
During the two day
event (as well as events leading up to the festival), attendees can participate in a variety of activities in the Arbor Lakes
Event highlights include, according to the Arbor Lakes Business Association:
Main Street Arbor Lakes (June 11-12)
- More than 20 professional artists from around the world will be featured. Most of the artists will be working in a 10’ x 10’ square. Several 3-D artists will be working in squares up to 10’ x 30’ in size.
- The attendees will be able to buy tickets to “vote” for their favorite artist(s) for the People’s Choice Award at the information tent. Tickets can be placed in the professional artist bucket(s) next to their square. Proceeds will help support future Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes and a stipend for the winning artist.
- An opportunity to win a signed copy of the 2016 Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes poster’s featured artist, Joel Yau, with an email signup entry (entry forms on Main Street and The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes).
- Amateur and student artists will be compete for first place ($250 Shoppes gift card), second place ($100 Shoppes gift card) and third place ($50 Shoppes gift card) prizes.
“The event is as much about the process as it is the result. The community should plan to visit several times during the weekend to see how these amazing pieces of art evolve,” Whitelaw said.
Shoppes at Arbor Lakes (June 11-12)
The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes will be sponsoring the Family Zone with family entertainment and activities during the two-day event.
In addition to entertainment, there will be free face painting and character appearances by My Storybook Friends. Volunteers will be available to help teach families how to chalk. “Chalk is provided, so bring your creativity!” Whitelaw said.
Saturday, June 11
- 10-10:45 a.m. - The Teddy Bear Band
- 11-11:45 a.m. - Choo Choo Bob presents Engineer Paul and Friends
- 12-12:45 p.m. - Jack and Kitty
- 1-1:45 p.m. - Kenny Ahern (comedian)
- 2-2:45 p.m. - The Bazillions
- 3-3:45 p.m. - Tricia and The Toonies
- 4-4:45 p.m. - Open Eye Figure Theater
Sunday, June 12
- 12-12:45 p.m. - Brian Richards Magic Show
- 1-1:45p.m. - Bob the Beachcomber
- 2-4 p.m. - Kidsdance DJ
Fountains at Arbor Lakes
- Over Memorial Day weekend, resident artist, Shawn McCann will be painting a mural to promote Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes (May 28-30) on the sidewalk near DSW Shoes.
- Guests will be able to enter a contest to win Fountains merchants gift cards by taking a selfie at the mural and posting it on Instagram #chalkMN. They can take the photos from Memorial Day weekend through June 12. The winners will be notified the week after Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes has ended.
- Thursday, June 9 and Friday, June 10 - Internationally-known artists Alex Maxiov, Anat Ronen and Shawn McCann will be creating murals in the plazas at the Fountains.
“Just like the street art on Main Street during the event, these murals are as much about the process as the end result and the public is encouraged to watch the process over the two-day creation period,” Whitelaw said. “All murals will remain on view at the Fountains throughout the summer.”
Arbor Lakes Business Association and area businesses are actively involved in Chalkfest by through sponsorship and hosting meals for the artists. Some businesses will be on Main Street to visit with the event attendees. Major festival sponsors include Great Southern Bank, Doran Companies, The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes, Fountains at Arbor Lakes, Kimco Realty Corporation, Arbor Lakes Business Association, Prime Advertising, Step By Step Montessori, Ryan Companies, Minneapolis Northwest Tourism, Maple Grove Arts Center, Holiday Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Hampton Inn, Staybridge Inn and Suites, and Main Street Arbor Lakes. Approximately 20 additional sponsors are providing cash or in-kind contributions.
In addition to
attending the events listed above, there are a few additional opportunities to get involved:
- Log onto www.chalkfestarborlakes.com to sign up as an amateur artist, to volunteer or become a sponsor.
- Log onto www.maplegroveartscenter.com to sign up for classes to learn how to chalk on the streets, to volunteer or sign up as an amateur artist.