2016 Maple Grove Farmers Market Opens June 9
Jun 07, 2016 04:07PM
● By Wendy Erlien
During the 2016, the Power of Produce children’s club will be available for the entire outdoor Maple Grove Farmers Market season. (photo provided by Maple Grove Farmers Market)
It is anticipated more than 40 vendors will be at the market on opening day, offering a variety of locally grown and made food items. The market continues each Thursday after opening day ending Oct. 20.
“For the first time, we’re thrilled to announce that our popular Power of Produce children’s club will be available for the full market season,” Maple Grove Farmers Market Manager Kirsten Bansen Weigle said. “We hope families will come directly from school to the market on opening day.”
The free PoP Club provides children, ages 4-12, with $2 each week to spend on fresh fruits
and vegetables at the market.
“Parents tell us that their kids are much more interested and motivated to try new fruits and veggies,” Bansen Weigle said. Local sponsors Oakdale ObGyn, South Lake Pediatrics, and TopLine Federal Credit Union are supporters of the program for the 2016 season, according to Bansen Weigle.
What to Know
- Products available include, but are not limited to, eggs, pork, beef, chicken, honey, maple syrup, locally grown produce and plant starts, sunflower oil, and canned goods. Artisan breads, specialty sauces and salsas, pierogis, and many more specialty food items round out the market’s offerings.
- Food trucks will offer ready-to-eat items, including crepes, grilled pork chops, grilled cheese, soup, and ice cream.
- Vendors accept cash. Credit, debit, and EBT cards may be used to purchase market tokens which are accepted throughout the market.
- As part of a grant from Hunger Solutions Minnesota, EBT customers will receive a match of up to $10 each week that they use their card to purchase market tokens. More information about the EBT matching program and a list of participating farmers markets is available at http://www.hungersolutions.org/programs/market-bucks-2/
Opening Day Activities
- From 4-7 p.m., live acoustic cello and guitar music featuring Glen Helgeson.
- Stop by the Market Information Booth for a Frequent Shopper card and earn rewards all season long as part of the customer loyalty rewards program.
- Free recipes featuring local, seasonal produce
- Free parking, children’s play area, and walking paths on site