Business Profile: Z’s Smokin’ Bonez - Bringing Barbecue to Maple Grove
Jun 24, 2016 10:01AM
● By Wendy Erlien
Z’s Smokin’ Bonez owners Dave and Misty Zapf (photo by Wendy Erlien)
Maple Grove residents Dave and Misty Zapf have made working in the restaurant business become part of their family.
The couple first met while working at J. Cousineau's in Maple Grove in the 1990’s. Over the years, the duo eventually bought the restaurant from the previous owners.
“We’ve been working together since 1991. It’s just the way we’ve been,” Misty said. “We have a lot of fun.”
After owning J. Cousineau's for 14 years, the Zapf’s decided to make a change - selling the the bar and grill and branching out to the barbecue business.
“Dave was still interested in staying in business and barbecue. He did some smoking on the side...experimenting with barbecue,” Misty said. The hobby and interest, which included participating and judging competitions, grew into the base for their new business - Z’s Smokin’ Bonez.
Located at 16362 County Road 30 in Maple Grove, the couple runs Z’s Smokin’ Bonez from a storefront at the The Shoppes at Dunkirk Lane. “It’s a place where you could stop in and eat or order to go,” Misty said. “We want people to feel comfortable when they come in...make it feel like home."
The venture has been family-focused from the start, not only for their customers but for operations as well.
“We love getting input from our family - we’re really a foodie family,” Misty said.
In addition to serving a variety of barbecue, side options, and sauces from their expansive menu, Z’s Smokin’ Bonez provides catering services and travels with their food truck to events and venues around the Twin Cities area.
“It can be as simple as bringing your containers in and ordering by the pint or quart or Dave can bring the hog to your event and smoke it there,” she said of event catering. Some couples have even requested the food truck onsite at their wedding reception.
In addition to some of their most popular items (such as the Cuban and Whole Hog Hoagie), Z’s Smokin’ Bonez routinely adds a few new twists to their menu. Seasonal flavor-infused sauces are just one example of how customers might mix up their meal.
Supporting the community is also important component to the Zapf family and Z’s Smokin’ Bonez. Through their businesses, they have participated in assisting with the Maple Grove Ambassador program, been an active part of the Business of Art program with the Maple Grove Art Center, and helped with the Maple Grove Triathlon when it first started years ago.
“We try to give back when we can,” Misty said.
For more information: http://zsmokinbonez.com/
Summer 2016: Where to Find the Z’s Smokin’ Bonez Food Truck
- Warner’s Stellian (Maple Grove)
- Intereum, 845 Berkshire Lane North, Plymouth (first week of the month)
- Periscope, 921 S. Washington Avenue, Minneapolis (second week of the month)
- M Health, 14500 99th Avenue North, Maple Grove (first week of the month)
- Upsher-Smith, 6701 Evanstad Drive, Maple Grove (second week of the month)
- Vascular Solutions, 6464 Sycamore Court North, Maple Grove (fourth week of the month)
- Baldor Electric, 13098 George Weber Drive, Rogers (first/third week of the month)
- VAA Association, 2300 Berkshire Lane North, Plymouth (second/fourth week of the month)
- Zylstra, 19600 Evans Street, Elk River (first Friday of the month from 4-7 p.m.)
- Z’s Smokin Bonez parking lot