Minnesota Department of Agriculture to Host Celebration at Maple Grove Farmers Market
Jul 31, 2016 01:00PM
● Published by Wendy Erlien
(Photo provided by Maple Grove Farmers Market)
The Maple Grove Farmers Market opens 3 p.m. and and kickoff festivities begin at 3:30 p.m. at the Maple Grove Community Center, located at 12951 Weaver Lake Road.
“We’re so proud that Minnesota Grown has chosen Maple Grove to begin National Farmers Market Week,” Maple Grove Farmers Market Manager Kirsten Bansen Weigle said. “Farmers Markets offer so much to our communities—fresh and nutritious food, economic development, and strong community connections. This is prime time for markets across the state of Minnesota.”
The kickoff celebration includes the Minnesota Grown
Three Minute Try-athlon—a series of games showcasing locally grown produce.
Minnesota Grown spokesperson and former Olympian Carrie Tollefson will captain
Team MDA while Maple Grove City Administrator Heidi Nelson and Parks and
Recreation Director Chuck Stifter will co-captain Team Maple Grove. Maple Grove Farmers Market Power of Produce
kids’ club participants will also have an opportunity to join.
At the market, Minnesota Grown will host an informational booth with free Minnesota Grown directories, stickers, and prize drawings. Samples of locally grown produce will be provided by the Maple Grove Farmers Market. The Maple Grove Farmers Market will feature more than 40 vendors offering locally grown produce, farmstead goods, and specialty foods.
Also during the Aug. 4 Maple Grove Farmers Market:
- Live Americana and roots music by Tim Cheesebrow, 4-7 pm.
- Children ages 4-12 can join the Power of Produce Club by signing up for the free club at the Market Information booth. Kids receive a free shopping bag and a $2 market token which may be used to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at the market. Come back each week for another $2 token.
- SNAP card holders receive a dollar-for-dollar match (up to $10) every week at the market when using their SNAP card at the market. More information at the Market Information Booth.
- Free recipes featuring local, seasonal produce.