7 Tips for Traveling to Chalkfest in Maple Grove 2017
Jun 09, 2017 08:50PM ● Published by Wendy Erlien
File photo: Chalkfest 2016 (photo by Wendy Erlien / Maple Grove Voice)
Following up on a successful inaugural event last year, Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes once again returns to Maple Grove for a weekend of chalk art with entertainment, food, and family-friendly activities.
If you plan on taking in the annual street art festival, check out seven tips to make the most of your visit.
- The free event will take place 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June 11 on Main Street (Elm Creek Boulevard and Main Street). You can find a map and directions by clicking here.
- Keep cool! Maple Grove is under a heat advisory from noon to 8 p.m. on Saturday, according to the National Weather Service - Twin Cities. Drink plenty of fluids, take breaks out of the sun, and dress for warm weather. Temperatures are forecast for the mid to upper 90s.
- Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes will feature sidewalk chalk art by professionals, amateurs and art enthusiasts. Thirty-four professional street artists will be traveling to Main Street from throughout the United States as well as Bahrain, Mexico and Italy to showcase their talents.
- Vote for your favorite professional artist to win the People’s Choice Award. The artist collecting the most votes wins! Tickets for voting are available to purchase onsite both days of the festival at the information desk. Proceeds are used for the winning artist’s prize and to assist in helping the event return in 2018.
- There are options for amateur chalk artists! Visit the information desk on Main Street for details.
- Winners of the festival will be announced 5 p.m. Sunday, June 11. Stay and browse the art until sundown when the street will be pressure-washed and reopened to traffic.
- Looking for more information, including artist bios? Visit http://www.chalkfestarborlakes.com/
is a unique event that allows visitors to watch artists involved in the
creative process,” Minneapolis Northwest Tourism Executive Director Dave Looby
said. “As Presenting Sponsor, we recognize Chalkfest as an opportunity for
community members, artists and visitors from around the world to become
acquainted with and enjoy Maple Grove and our surrounding area.”