Updated: Osseo Area Schools Closed Jan. 31 Due to Cold Temperatures; Wind Chill Warning Continues
Jan 27, 2019 10:03PM
● By Wendy Erlien
File photo: credit Minnesota Department of Transportation
On Wednesday, Maple Grove made the list of observed low temperatures - reaching -29 degrees at 8:30 a.m., according to the National Weather Service - Twin Cities. The Hennepin County area remains under a wind chill warning until 9 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 31.
Osseo Area Schools announced the following on Wednesday on their website:
Due to the continued forecast of dangerously cold temperatures, school is canceled again tomorrow, Thursday, Jan. 31, . All Osseo Area Schools buildings will be closed during the school day and no classes will be held.
However, please note this important change from past practice:
- All district-sponsored high school after-school and evening activities, practices and games (not including parent/teacher and registration conferences) will be held as originally scheduled on Thursday, Jan. 31.
- Please note that this applies to high school-sponsored activities, practices and games only, and students will need to arrange for their own transportation to the activity.
- Students will not be penalized if they are not able to attend the activity.
- If a high school activity will not be held, you can expect to receive direct communication from your activity coach or advisor.
- After-school activity buses from school to home will run as usual.
- Elementary, middle school, and community-sponsored after-school and evening activities (including facility rentals) remain canceled.
We will resume normal operations on Friday, Feb. 1.
Heritage Christian Academy announced it would be closed Thursday, Jan. 31 as well stating on their website, "due to continued dangerous temperatures and wind chill through tomorrow morning, Heritage Christian Academy will be closed on Thursday, January 31st. Classes will resume on Friday, February 1st for all students at 8:00 a.m. Twelfth grade students will not have a late start on Friday, February 1st."
Original post: 10 p.m. Jan. 27, 2019 - A winter storm and dangerously cold temperatures resulted in the canceling of school for Osseo Area Schools students and staff Jan. 29-30, 2019.
Osseo Area Schools announced the following Sunday evening: Due to the forecast of dangerously cold temperatures, school is canceled on Jan. 29 and Jan. 30. All district buildings will be closed both days; all after-school and evening activities are also canceled. Staff will continue to monitor the forecast for Thursday, Jan. 31. If you do NOT hear from us again, plan to have your child return to school on Thursday.
Parnassus Preparatory School and Ave Maria Academy also announced closures Jan. 29-30.
Heritage Christian Academy announced it would be closed Jan. 29-30 stating on their website, "With careful consideration and review of surrounding school districts, we are looking closely at the weather reports for both Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. The forecast predicts dangerously low temperatures. Our primary concern is for the safety of HCA families, student drivers, faculty, and staff. Therefore, Heritage Christian Academy will be closed on Tuesday, January 29th and Wednesday, January 30th. Coaches will keep athletic teams informed of practice and game rescheduling."
"Wind chills are expected to fall to 25 below to 35 below zero today [Tuesday, Jan. 29]. Dangerous wind chills of 45 below to 65 below zero are expected for most of the period from Tuesday night through Thursday morning. This is a life-threatening situation for those